What is Soft Story?
A soft story building is a structure that:
- Has more than one story.
- Was built before January 1, 1978.
- Has a first floor with wide open spaces like parking or retail space .
Soft Story Retrofit
> Project Management
Specializing in complex framing solutions, ACSR leadership has managed the successful construction of over 50,000 apartment units across two states.
Comply with Soft Story Retrofit Mandate by Using ACSR
ACSR specializes in solutions to complex framing problems. OUR leadership has managed the successful construction of over 50,000 wood-framed apartment units across two states.
THE PROCESS WITH ACSR
- ACSR is here to help you manage the process from beginning to end.
- ACSR can provide an efficient design or value engineer an existing design.
- ACSR can help you with the permitting process.
- ACSR has a team of construction professionals to ensure workmanship is performed at the highest standards and with minimal inconvenience to your tenants.
- ACSR will deliver your certification of completion from the building inspector on time.
- ACSR’s goal is to take the worry, the headache, and the difficulty out of your hands.
Why is this important?
In 2013 San Francisco and in 2016 Los Angeles passed city ordinances changing building codes to require buildings to undergo Soft Story Retrofitting – The Mandatory Soft Story Retrofit Program (MSSP).
Since then, multiple municipalities throughout California have adopted this program and more are expected to in the coming years. The goal of the retrofit program is to reduce structural seismic deficiencies by reinforcing the building’s resistance to seismic events.
If your property has been identified by the city building department as needing Seismic Retrofitting, you need ACSR.
IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW
Enforcement and abatement action for non-compliance will be taken by your city’s building department. See your city’s policy on non-compliance.
MAKE YOUR BUILDING MORE ATTRACTIVE TO RENTERS
A safer building is a more attractive building that can demand higher rents and lower vacancy.
INCREASE THE VALUE OF YOUR PROPERTY
Retrofitting your building will increase equity and add value to your asset.
REDUCED EARTHQUAKE INSURANCE RATES
Buildings with seismic retrofits are eligible for discounted insurance rates by the California Earthquake Authority.